Re: SM/STU, subframe connectors etc etc Long but there is a point.

To: "Thompson, Adrian (A.L.)" <athomps9@visteon.com>
Subject: Re: SM/STU, subframe connectors etc etc Long but there is a point.
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 13:33:09 -0500

> First I want it known that I'm not flaming Dennis as I've been accused of
> off line.

And for the record, Dennis doesn't think he's being flamed either.

> Now, back to subframe connectors.  I understand why Dennis want's to keep
> thing's bolt on, but I firmly believe that weld in connectors ARE within the
> spirit of the rules.

Well, then we're gonna disagree here.

I see SFCs as basically being the same deal as upper strut bars and other
bolt-on chassis re-enforcements. We're starting to see all kinds of oddball
permutations of these things in the riceboy world - not just the
"tie-the-upper-shock-mounts-together" bars that we all know and love, but also
under-car bars, and even this one strange contraption that bolts across the
lower part of the rear seats.

But the key word here is "bolt". Bolts imply a certain loss of rigidity in the
mount (although it doesn't have to be this way, if the part is designed
properly) and it also implies that a monkey with a wrench can slap one on - that
implies "cheap" too.

So we have a collection of cheap, easily installed devices of limited
effectiveness.

The alternative - allow them to be welded in - bumps the cost way up, limits the
streetability of the car (I keep a 14mm wrench in my glovebox so I can pop my
rear strut bar off if I need the cargo space - takes about a minute - can't do
that with a welded-in unit), and grossly increases the effectivness of the
re-enforcements.

Well hell, now we're into chassis design - which is EXACTLY the one thing we are
trying to avoid!

Hell, even the existing bolt-on devices I'd like to ban, but that's not
reasonable, given that everyone already has them.

So you can have your subframe connectors - as long as they bolt in. If yours are
already welded on, well, a few minutes with an angle grinder and a drill and
you've converted them to bolt ons.

> No effective bolt in subframe
> connector exist for you average muscle car

This is the problem of the manufacturers, not the rules makers.

Hell, this sounds to me like an OPPORTUNITY. "Adrian's Super Bolt-in SFCs, Inc."

> They turn up at a local event and get told 'Sorry your in CP
> against that fire breathing stripped out monster that look's like a refugee
> from a Trans Am race'.

This is the similar situation as boost controllers for turbo cars, so I
sympathise.

I would suggest, at a Local/Regional level, that if an SM newbie showed up at an
event with welded-in SFCs, that he be allowed to compete, with the understanding
that if he ever wanted to progress to higher levels, he'd have to convert his
SFCs to the proper type. For Regionals, where the average skill level is much
lower, and the emphasis is on having fun, a welded-in SFC is not an apocolypse.

Common sense prevails.

You can't use them though Adrian - you know better. :)

> Next point, and this is a request for clarification AFTER reading the
> proposed rules.

> STU.8 SUSPENSION

>     A. Suspension components are unrestricted as long as they use the Stock
> mounting points.

> Based on this can you:

> a)  Fit a light weight tubular front cross member that fit's to the original
> mounts and duplicates the suspension pick ups?

Hmm, so you have a bolt-on part (so it's not strictly speaking part of the
chassis) that just so happens to contain some/all of the suspension pickups. Can
you replace that?

I'd say yes.

> b)  Add extra (bolt on) pick ups to fit after market SLA's to strut type
> vehicles?

If it requires extra holes, no. Under our SM "no weenies" policy, if your
commercially available "strut to SLA conversion kit" added a couple of extra
holes to help fit/strengthen the adaptor bits, that might be OK (tread lightly
here!), but the fabrication of holes to attach a mount that is in no way
releated to a stock mount point would be a no-no.

> If not, what about bolting something to an existing hole or
> bracket?

This is completely OK.

Think of it this way - pull off your stock suspension. You now have a collection
of holes in the chassis you can use to mount whatever suspension you desire.

> c)  Remove suspension components

Legal. See above.

> d)  Can you bolt a bracket to an original mount that moves it?  Again,
> common an muscle cars to lower the axle mounting for the rear lower control
> arm to improve anti squat/ant dive

Legal. See above.

DG