SM/STU, subframe connectors etc etc Long but there is a point.

To: "'dg50@daimlerchrysler.com'" <dg50@daimlerchrysler.com>,
Subject: SM/STU, subframe connectors etc etc Long but there is a point.
From: "Thompson, Adrian (A.L.)" <athomps9@visteon.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 12:55:03 -0500
First I want it known that I'm not flaming Dennis as I've been accused of
off line.  I think he's done a great job that no one else wanted to do.  I'm
asking questions that I think are unclear in the rules posted on his web
site.  Also, just because I think he's done a good job doesn't mean I have
to agree with everything he say's, this is a discussion forum isn't it?.
Now he's opened up a whole new can of worms by now including muscle car's in
SM (I think S&M might be a better name the way things are going :))

Now, back to subframe connectors.  I understand why Dennis want's to keep
thing's bolt on, but I firmly believe that weld in connectors ARE within the
spirit of the rules.  This is a bolt on class, but how many newbies bolt on
there own exhaust and how many go to the local muffler shop where, for an
extra $30 they can get there connectors welded in as well?  I agree that an
effective bolt in connector can be made per mine and Dennis's notes
yesterday.  The problem is twofold.  1)  No effective bolt in subframe
connector exist for you average muscle car, everything available (that
works) is weld in.  2)  This class is trying to attract new people to
solo's.  Well, long before most muscle car owners find out about solo
they've probably been to the local drag strip and or speed shop.  There,
after getting headers, loosing the cat's, under drive pulleys and a new rear
gear, guess what they're told they need.  SUBFRAME CONECTORS, rightly or
wrongly that's what they do.  Then, a couple of months later they here about
Solo's.  They turn up at a local event and get told 'Sorry your in CP
against that fire breathing stripped out monster that look's like a refugee
from a Trans Am race'.  That's going to make people stick around don't you
think?  NOT.  I agree that sub frame connectors are needed to stop an 800hp
Mustang/Camaro etc turning into a pretzel but the biggest difference to a
modified street car isn't going to be in the handling, you can tune your
suspension to work with either a stiff OR flexible chassis.  The best thing
about subframe connectors in a street car is the reduction in squeaks and
rattles.  I'd like to propose we (this forum) carefully word a set of rules
for weld in subframe connectors for inclusion in SM.  We may be too late for
this year, but Dennis keep's saying this is a class that's going to evolve,
not stagnate.  I believe there was a lot of work went into drafting
something here about 18 months ago that was even sent to the SEB.  That was
before I was on the list so does anyone still have them?  If so post them,
if nothing appears in a couple of day's I'll have a go myself, then I'll
really get flamed :)

Next point, and this is a request for clarification AFTER reading the
proposed rules.

STU.8 SUSPENSION

    A. Suspension components are unrestricted as long as they use the Stock
mounting points.

Based on this can you:

a)  Fit a light weight tubular front cross member that fit's to the original
mounts and duplicates the suspension pick ups?

b)  Add extra (bolt on) pick ups to fit after market SLA's to strut type
vehicles?  If not, what about bolting something to an existing hole or
bracket?

c)  Remove suspension components (or claim they're still they're but
infinitely small and light ;) )?  This is common on Mustang rear Torque arms
where you no longer need the upper control arms.  The SP/AS crowed then have
to refit the original parts with roll bar padding for bushing so they don't
work.

d)  Can you bolt a bracket to an original mount that moves it?  Again,
common an muscle cars to lower the axle mounting for the rear lower control
arm to improve anti squat/ant dive

I think these are all common bolt on trick's that are commercially available
for many different vehicles and within the spirit of the rules

Final rant.  Some one earlier stated that a CSP style Civic with a maxed out
motor is going to be the overdog as even in CSP form they are almost as fast
as ASP.  Well that maybe but we don't know.  Your average ESP car is still
very limited by it's suspension.  If some one chose a light no option base
with maxed out suspension I think you'll end up with a car that weighs less
than 3,000lb's with a Corvette beating suspension.  OR people keep
forgetting that the second generation Rx7 was available in this country as a
4 seater for a time.  Look how well they do in ITS (OK so it's road racing
but no ones done any real Solo development yet) Add a third gen powerplant
and look out.  It's wide open as far as I can see.

Adrian Thompson
Dressed in Nomex for protection from the list.