Re: I need some help

To: "Stephen Beal" <mca187@hotmail.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: I need some help
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 22:26:50 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: Stephen Beal <mca187@hotmail.com>

> Hi I have a 98 Mustang w/a V6 3.8 ltr, I know I know but, if it was my
> choice I would have a 95 Skyline GTR. Anyway I want to know if I can swap
my
> antilock brakes for something else, let's face it ABS sucks.

Yes, but under SCCA rules, that moves you from Stock to Prepared with
stripped-out, slick-tired race cars.  Under those conditions, you may as
well keep the ABS.

Other clubs may have different preparation allowances, so ask around
locally.

> I also want to know what do you need to have to compete in Solo II
events...

The car has to be in good mechanical condition and be equipped with seat
belts -- shouldn't be a problem for yours.  You have to have a driver's
license, written parental consent if you're under 18, and a Snell 85 or
better helmet (although most events have loaner helmets if you don't have
your own).  Again, local regions/clubs may have slightly different
requirements, so ask.

> ...and, if the car isn't in my name do I have to have the owners consent
on paper to race?

I've never been to an event at which they checked your registration --
possession of the keys has always been good enough.  Better make sure the
owner knows what you're doing, though.  Better yet, bring him or her
along....

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si (not in my name, right now, either)
Speed Demon Racing
http://www.mindspring.com/~jsculerati/sdr