Re: different review of the S2000/police car testing

To: <HAVOCDEAN@aol.com>, <posborne@minuteman-ups.com>, <cblome@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: different review of the S2000/police car testing
From: "Phillip S. Osborne" <psosborn@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 05:45:56 -0500
I would agree with most of your statement Dean, however, the drivers
selected for this testing procedure were training officers, or had been, and
had gone to several driver's schools to qualify.  I knew several of them,
and seldom did the cadre change, except in illness, death, or retirement.
Of the 11 years that I attended, half of the 8 drivers were still
participating in the program.  This was quite a big deal, as spectators were
invited from across the country.  Normally, there would be 300 or more
police departments represented, from state police agencies, to extremely
large cities, to podunkville.

And I have to agree totaly with your final statement.  I taught driver
training for nearly 14 years in Lexington, Ky.  In my department, as well as
many others, if budgets needed to be cut, most often that is where some of
it would come from, especially when there was a need to train new
instructors.  I was lucky, as I was able to attend three different
instructor schools, as well as refresher courses to stay current.  Often
times, it was left up to me to train other instructors.  But I have to say,
of the 27 years I spent in the police department, I enjoyed the driver
training sessions more than any of it....

Phil O.