RE: different review of the S2000/police car testing

To: "'Craig Blome'" <cblome@yahoo.com>, "Moore, John" <jmoore@spyglass.com>,
Subject: RE: different review of the S2000/police car testing
From: Phil Osborne <posborne@minuteman-ups.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 07:39:30 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From:   Craig Blome [SMTP:cblome@yahoo.com]

Craig Blome wrote:
 Haven't seen them, but I'll guess the undisclosed
location is the Michigan State Police proving grounds.
 They do a big road test of patrol cars every year
that most agencies base their fleet purchase decisions
on.  I've got a book on Chevy patrol cars at home that
talks about some interesting rivalries between the
police car engineering teams.

Craig B.

Most likely this took place at Chrysler Proving Grounds in Chelsea, MI and
the old road race track at MIS.  I used to attend the Michigan Police Car
Test program every year before retirement.  High speed and braking tests
were done at Chelsea, and dynamic testing was done at MIS.  And yes, there
were some serious bickering going on between manufacturers.  One in
particular involved the Chevy folks, who demanded a rerun on CC's 2 mile
plus high speed track after it was discovered the test folks had failed to
remove the spare tire from one of their entries, and a Dodge Aspen police
pkg had beaten them thoroughly during high speed testing.  They were given
the rerun, but there was no change in results...

Phil O.