ss brake lines

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: ss brake lines
From: Dennis Hale <dhale_510@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 08:02:53 -0800 (PST)
  There are two common failures of the ss braided over
teflon brake lines. One is the teflon cracking which
is caused by kinking the line, usually by hanging the
caliper from the line when doing brake/hub repairs.
The other is a longer term failure where the steel
braid frays and a small wire metal piece punctures the
teflon tube. The tape idea is good, but shrink tubing
is the popular solution. It is also very good for
reducing abrasion problems. When you see what looks
like rubber lines on a Formula car these days, they
are black shrink wrappings on the teflon and steel
braid lines.
  The advantages of the lines are greater durability,
puncture resistance (they are kind of like armor
plated) and great hydraulic pressure resistance, plus
they never swell and restrict. The disadvantages are
most of the failure problems are out of sight, under
the "armor" and therefor a race track kind of thing.
  I doubt any unprepared, excuse me, stock class
machine needs any of this.

=====
Dennis Hale