Re: A Friday Physics Problem

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: A Friday Physics Problem
From: "Brad Cox" <coxb@trimofran.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 10:22:32 -0600
> mV, whereas Car B has a momentum of 2mV. In order for Car B to maintain
the same
> speed through the turn as Car A, it must either be capable of maintaining
> higher lateral acceleration. (Or is the lateral acceleration value
uneffected,

I think the lateral acceleration would be the same for car B, assuming they
are both travelling the same speed around a given turn and car B has twice
the mass. (F=2MA or F/2=MA or F/2M=A) A remains the same but F or the force
changes.  Sheesh!  I hope I got that right.  Let's see, it makes sense, 2
objects travelling the same speed around a circle have the same lateral
acceleration in G's.  But, the force required to hold them to their line is
different, in this case double if you plug in some numbers.  So, I guess car
B would have to have double the traction.  As far as speed goes, I'll let a
math wiz handle that because I think I just stated the obvious. ;-)

-brad
(muh brain hurts)