Re: A Friday Physics Problem

To: <dg50@daimlerchrysler.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: A Friday Physics Problem
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 11:53:02 -0600
Dennis responds:

<snip>
>If we assume that both cars have the same level of grip (f),

There's where you've gotten. Available grip =~ Cf*W, where Cf =
tire coefficent of friction, assumed constant to a first
approximation, and W = force on the tire normal to the ground
plane. Now, if Cf is relatively constant wrt vertical loading -
only approximately true and only within a range of vertical
twice the available cornering force, which is exactly how much it
needs to maintain the same lateral acceleration as the lighter
car.

> then Car B must
>slow down to make the turn.

See above.

>Solving for v, we get
>
>sqrt(rf/m) = v

Correct, but f is directly proportional to the mass, as shown in
the above approximate equation.

>Meaning that v varies as the square root of one over the mass.
(uhh, right?)

No, since f varies as the first power of the mass, v =~ constant.

Now, a tire's Cf  isn't really perfectly constant wrt vertical
increases outside some optimal range. If this were not the case,
the weight of a car could be increased without limit with no
reduction in its steady-state cornering capability (transient
behavior is a whole 'nother subject).

Now, does it make more sense? A heavier car needs more absolute
grip to corner at the same speed as a lighter one, but its
additional weight creates (more or less) the required added grip,
which is a function of the component of tire loading normal to
the pavement.

Jay