GS BMW taxonomy

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: GS BMW taxonomy
From: Tom Rockwell <rockwell@pa.msu.edu>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 01:28:14 +0000
I see in the latest Fastrack that all 3-series 6-cyl BMWs are marked for
reclassification to GS.  Seems to me that they could be competative in
the class.  I don't know a whole lot about the variations of the 3
series, except that there are many.

There are 3 major models e30, e36, e46.  They increase in weight but
also power.  I believe some of the e30 and e36, but none of the e46 cars
came with LSDs and some of these were the torsen type.  Seems like it
must be pretty well worked out from BMWCCA competition which are the
better ones for autox.  What are the good years and equipment?  I'm
guessing '96 or '97 328is with torsen (available?) would be high on the
list.

thanks,
Tom