RE DRL's (Digest 3620)

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE DRL's (Digest 3620)
From: BSHolden@aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 19:42:31 EST
   A creation, they are, as the result of Another Idiot Idea. A close second
being the "third brake light" requirement for autos, or maybe second should
be airbags. Anyhow: I recall that back in the late '70's motorcycles were
required to be "hard-wired" so that their headlights would always be on
whenever the engine was running, in the interest of "increased visibility"
for bikes.
    As things now stand with regard to DRL's for 4-wheelers, the so called
increased visibility "advantage" for bikes has been essentially eliminated. I
won't even go into the obvious situation of the 3 brake light (for cars and
light trucks) Vs 1 brake light for bikes.
    As a semi-serious biker I believe that DRL's and the federally required
high mounted 3rd brake light for autos is the ultimate in stupidity with
regard to my personal safety when on the bike. At least the bike doesn't have
an airbag. For now.

Obligatory Auto-x Content:
DRL's = alternator drag
Airbags = added weight.