Re: The new DSP - Which cars are the ones to have???

To: Arie Villasol <avillasol@primo.com>
Subject: Re: The new DSP - Which cars are the ones to have???
From: Iain Mannix <mannix@privateI.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 20:21:19 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Arie Villasol wrote:

> Generally the Fiat X19's will still dominate.
>
> If Kevin Wenzel can dial in his VW Scirocco even more, that could be the car
> to catch the Fiats. I believe it's an '81. Kevin??

I'm not Kevin, but FWIW, the Scirocco stays in FSP(the old DSP minus
Fiat/Capri).  Mechanically, there is nothing different between a Scirocco
and a Rabbit.  There are subtle differences in feel - but I don't believe
one is clearly a better car than the other.

However, I agree - Kevin's Scirocco and a bunch of other cars will
be beating the Fiats with time.  We'll be in a different class, but
oh well.

I do believe that the SciroccoII will be a contender in the NewDSP -
same chassis, different body.  The way it was listed in the NewDSP, it
would be legal to use the 2.0 liter 16v motor in the A1 chassis -
which is lighter and has more adjustable front suspension than a Golf,
which is where you'd have to get the 2.0(or Jetta).  Lighter car,
bigger hole at the top of the strut, gets to use a bigger motor.

The 16v makes 134hp stock, decent torque.  That's more than the best
prepped 8v FSP cars - stock.  I'd bet there's 170hp hiding in a 2.0
16v motor in SP trim.

Add 40 or so horsepower to Kevin's Scirocco?  Hummm.  I don't know
much about other cars - but the Scirocco 16v could probably get down
to 2000(maybe lighter - the lightest 8v Scirocco2 I know of is 1900,
the 16v weighs a little more), dunno.

Tempting.  Add a little weight up front, but add a good bit more power
- I'd bet there are cars that could beat it(Capri comes to mind;), but
it'd be a solid car for the class.  At least solid.

Corrado G60 is a possibility - heavier, but there are some interesting
same line tricks - the G60 and VR6 share the same line, there's a
couple of things on the VR6 that could get the G60 going a little
faster.

Who knows.  8 valve VWs are in FSP, last I checked, and as far as I can
tell, it is the car to have.

Truck?  You have to be from a galaxy far, far away to make one of
those go fast.

> If anyone does plan on running DSP next year, buy your car from Colorado.
> Denver Street Prepared kicked some butt at Nationals behind Hoelscher!  Nice
> job guys! We're closing the gap!! =)

Thanks!  I wish it were staying as it had been - I enjoyed you non VW
strangeoids;).  Made it fun.  It will be interesting to see what
happens - I believe FSP is going to get bigger now that the Fiats are
gone - a lot of local VW people I have met did not go to big events
"because of the fiats."  Shrug, but if the Fiat absence convinces them
to come out, great.  I'm not sure how much the NewDSP is going to grow
- but if someone is interested in SP, the class is pretty wide open;
if you can build a car in the class that runs around the top BS
times(geez, that's embarassing;), a little quicker, maybe, you've got
a solid car - I see a few cars that I'd guess could do it.

If the class grows, great!  I hope it does.  We will see - it'd be a
shame if we just divided one great class into two.  I hope that's not
the case.

Iain Mannix