Being $crewed by a Dealer$hip, any thoughts?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Being $crewed by a Dealer$hip, any thoughts?
From: "Moore, John" <jmoore@spyglass.com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 12:42:22 -0500
Hi all,
        I am turning to team.net for some suggestions in how to deal with a
local dealer that is trying to screw me. I took my SE-R in to the dealer for
simple A/C service. I normally wouldn't use a dealer$hip, but this dealers
parts dept is so knowledgable, I thought $ervice would be good too. When
they where done, not only does the A/C still not work, but my engine wont
stay running anymore at most stoplights and when it does stay running, it
runs like crap. Oddly enough as well, my dipstick is broken off and has
fallen into the distick tube. They are claiming no fault and saying that the
car has a lot of miles on it and "things like this happen". They are also
trying to say " Even if you brought the car in running perfectly and it
leaves running like crap, its not thier fault because the car has a lot of
miles on it".
        When I started to calmly explain what seemed to be the problems to
the service manager, he kept cutting me off, telling me that they wouldn't
have done that. He said they would gladly diagnose and fix the problems but
that I would have to pay for it. Sound like a scam to you? It does to me. I
tried to give them the benefit of the doubt saying that I understand I had
the car in, on the afternoon before a 3 day weekend, and I even tried to
explain this to the service manager, but just got cut off .
        I then talked to the manager in charge of service for all of this
dealer$hip chain (i.e. the service managers boss), who was much more polite.
He still claims that the dipstick problem could not be caused by them, but
at least agreed to look at the car without charge.
        So now, a few questions that maybe someone can help with:
1) How can a dealer$hip like this be delt with?
2) Since it looks like I will have to fix everything myself, anyone have any
ideas of how to pull out a broken dipstick without removing the oil pan? I
already tried a grabber tool and a telescoping magnet with no success.
3) Does the SCCA have member legal services?

So much for running STS at the Peru NT.  :( :( :( :(

Heartbroken in Chicago,

John Moore
1991 Nissan Sentra SE-R (STS)
1993 Toyota MR2 NA (CS)