Re: SS/WS6 stock classification

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SS/WS6 stock classification
From: Matthew Carson <mcars@vt.edu>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 12:48:22 -0400
        Even with new SS's and WS6s being "factory built" is only half right.  I
half spent a good deal of time in that factory in the past year and have a
pretty good idea how it all works.  First, I think someone mentioned that
there were very few WS6s/SSs built.  I would guess approximately half of
the V8s are sent over to SLP.  The WS6 package and SS package are treated
the same in the plant.  It used to be that all the work was done at SLP.
However, they decided that since all they were doing was putting stuff on
at the plant and then immediately taking it off, it didn't make much sense
economically.  So now at the assembly plant they put on the exhaust system
and 17" wheels.  They put old used hoods and spoilers on that just get
cycled back to the plant to be used again.  They then ship the cars to SLP
where the new hood and spoiler and stuff get put on.  The car is then sent
back to St. Therese for shipping to the dealer.  You can also buy "options"
from SLP, including an even higher priced exhaust (not sure about better),
bigger wheels, and better differential.   (SLP of course sells take offs
from these, I bought an SS exhuast for $99.)  I believe the "uplevel" diff
is an Auburn Pro.  For these options, SLP adds an additional sticker beside
the factory sticker.
        As for these cars being in FS, as an FS competitor I wouldn't care too
much except for that differential.  The Mustangs get 17" wheels now anyway
and the F cars don't, so the wheels are not an issue to me.  I would like
the SS wheels on my car, but only because I think they look nice. :)  The
difference in power is not really significant, especially at low speeds.  I
don't think the basic SS suspension is any better than a 1LE.  I would
guess most of the additional grip they are advertising comes from the
tires.  It is my understanding that most of their extra power comes from
the exhaust, and that is free in stock anyway.  The relative hp ratings of
GM cars should be taken with a grain of salt, I have heard most F car LS1s
are really closer to 340 hp, and I doubt the SS's have 15 more hp.  My
problem with them being in FS would be the optional Auburn Pro
differential.  I wouldn't want to class them based on an option though.  So
I don't know what the answer is.  Letting all F cars add it would be
expensive and unfair to the Mustangs.

-Matt