RE: M3 Out of ESP - No Longer a Controversy

To: "'Ron Katona'" <rkatona@bellatlantic.net>,
Subject: RE: M3 Out of ESP - No Longer a Controversy
From: Jeff Winchell <jwinchell@Giftspot.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 11:32:58 -0700
JW> But perhaps the most obvious reason the M3 doesn't belong in ESP is a
driver
JW> who has proved nothing prior to this year, ending up in THIRD PLACE at
the
JW> national championships. Todd's a very good driver, but no where near the
JW> level of driving his results in ESP show.

RK>Note that 3rd place was much more distant from 2nd than 2nd was from
RK>1st. Where are all the Pony Car drivers between Mark and Todd? That
RK>nobody slipped into that 1.8 second gap isn't Todd's fault. Maybe we
RK>need to move the 88 Firebirds too? Take the top two M3s out, the closest
RK>late model Pony Car is 2.6 seconds behind!
RK>Based on that, I'd leave the M3s, Talons, and older Pony Cars in one
RK>class and move the overweight late model Pony Cars to a new playground
RK>where they can be competitive.

Sam Strano (last year's 3rd place person) chose to run in SS running in a
car model long been proven to be competitive in that class. Dave Shotz was
in 2nd last year in one of those "overweight late model Pony Cars" (1999
Firebird). The year before, "overweight late model Pony  Cars" took 1st
place and 3rd place with Mark's 88 Firebird inbetween the two.

Over the last several years, lighter less powerful F-bodies have been as
successful as the heavier more powerful ones. In the Mustang world, it's
pretty much been all the heavier more powerful ones taking home the
trophies.

>And as I said, it needs to be looked at, but moving the M3 isn't
>necessarily the answer.

So we should make a new class for all the ponycars and leave the M3 in ESP?
Since they won't be able to pound on a large number of competitors, and they
cost so much anyway, I doubt the class will have enough incentive to
maintain minimum entrant levels at nationals.

>Moving overweight, uncompetitive cars is also a viable option. 3700 lb
Mustangs?

At that event my car was 3700 lbs (including driver). It was also a Solo I
car. I shed 200 lbs after that event, and I believe another 100-200 is quite
possible (I could stand to lose 50 of that off my person<s>). I don't hold
up my car as it was at the Lemoore ProSolo to be a national championship
level car due to the weight (and I'm sure some more playing with springs,
shocks and sway bars). I discussed it in a launch thread because I believe
that even with it's weight it should have out launched the M3 and now I know
due to the M3's gearing it won't (maybe not even after I get it down to 3400
lbs).

>And although there's no proof of why attendance is down (and
>personally I don't think ESP was afraid of Bob), if it is because people
>felt there was no chance of winning because their class was too
>difficult, I say good riddance.

Fortunately, successful organizations don't employ that type of negative
sales attitude as they don't last long.

JW> It's not clear who was happy this year, other than BMW, a few BMW
JW> aftermarket companies, and a few M3 drivers.

RK>BMW cut back on their LeMans series effort to focus of F1... you think
RK>SCCA Solo-II breaks squelch with them? Maybe Jenson Button will get a
RK>factory sponsored ESP M3 ride next year?

OK, I withdraw one item from my list (BMW), but the rest stays.

Unless of course I suddenly see an ad in some car magazine touting the
Tunnell's win.