RE: M3 Out of ESP - No Longer a Controversy

To: "'Paul Foster'" <pfoster@gdi.net>,
Subject: RE: M3 Out of ESP - No Longer a Controversy
From: Jeff Winchell <jwinchell@Giftspot.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 11:54:58 -0700
<<<The next question.  Does the sport care about maintaining a class for
the traditional pony cars?  If protecting the dinosaurs is an important
goal, then move the M3.>>>

PF>I think the current stock / street prepared classing structure is right
PF>on track. It takes a lot of the mystery out of the sport when you have
PF>one or two overdogs in every class. All that is missing is the asterisk
PF>next to each one in the rulebook to eliminate all confusion.

It's a bad idea for an organization to take one of the most commonly owned
cars in this country non-competitive. NHRA/IHRA did that and now they have
multiple competing organizations dedicated to late model Mustang drag
racers. So this decision would in the long term, cause a competing national
autocross organization for this class of cars. I think that's a dumb idea.