Re: newbies

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: newbies
From: "Kent Rafferty" <gs96@sgi.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 16:57:17 -0400
I definitely see Alek's point.  I did a Porsche club
school at Mid-Ohio road course.  I still shuffle steer
after trying the other steering methods extensively.
The first thing the instructor did was told me to use
his method to steer the car.  Rather than focusing on
lines, shifting and braking, and looking ahead, I was
busy thinking, "pull with this hand, bring this hand
over" knowing full well that as soon as the instructor
was out of the car I was going back to shuffle
steering. It definitely diminished the experience.
Being a newbie at autocrossing or road racing doesn't
necessarily mean being a newbie at driving.

Kent Rafferty

> I would think that teaching newbies to autox
> is the priority. USually new drivers have problems
> with finding the course, driving too fast/too slow,
> etc. Now you are FORCING them to drive  at 10 and 2
> (after years of driving on the street another way),
> to me that is a distraction. If they can effectively
> turn the wheel and have no problems turning it as
fast
> as they need to, then why have them change that?
>

> show me one ounce of fact that proves that 10 and 2
> is the most effective driving position.
>
> BTW, my hands are still at 12 oclcok through out the
whole turn.

> I can see two hands on the wheel a must, the
illustration of Dean
> Sapp and Jeff Altenburg was simply to relate how you
can do well
> with your personal style as long as it is effective.
>
> (ie, you dont get crossed up with your hands). Its
whatever you
> are comfortable with. Does the car know the
difference?
> the steering wheel? I think not.
>
> BTW, My legal name is Alek. I accept
> Alex because people mistake Alek for Alex.
> So either is fine.
>

> You say "Mark Martin drives corners in ovals with
both hands at 10-11 o'clock. It
> works for him after many years of doing it that way."
>
> thats my precise point. If someone is driving on the
street one way,