Re: Any Civil Engineers in the House?

To: <dg50@daimlerchrysler.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Any Civil Engineers in the House?
From: "Dave Whitworth" <dave@wcsllc.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 14:47:16 -0500
Not a civil engineer, but I have some experience with concrete pricing.

Redi-Mix concrete is about $70 per yard around here!

4"  Is not enough for this use, unfortunately.  Your typical highway is
12-15" thick, with subdivision roads being about 9" thick and look at how
well the typical subdivision road holds up!  The WWII Concrete at Topeka is
19-24" thick with lots of steel rebar, etc.

You would need some kind of reinforcement at the joints at least, so figure
on some steel work.

For either concrete or asphalt you have to have good compaction in your base
fill.  This means compacting the dirt very well, then adding several layers
of rock, compacting each to get a good base.  This isn't the type of stuff
that your typical do it your selfer has access to.

I haven't bid much asphalt, but a good round number for concrete is $6 PER
SQUARE FOOT for the complete job.  You might be able to get a better price
on a large job, but I'm talking maybe a $.25 change per foot!

Keep in mind that any concrete job bigger than a driveway involves many of
the following things:

1)  Skilled workers who make in the range of $30 per hour
2)  Bobcats, dozers, compactors and other equipment is fantastically
expensive to own and operate.  A million dollars worth of equipment won't
buy enough to start a small company.  Even when you rent, these items all
start in the $1000 to $5000 a month rental

Not trying to rain on your parade, juts trying to give you an idea of the $$
involved.

Dave