Re: Coil Over Spring Rates

To: "Ian McCloghrie" <ian@codrus.com>, "autocross list" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Coil Over Spring Rates
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 23:28:31 -0500
>On Oct 10, 2000 Paul Foster wrote:
>> You might change the range of travel by using a larger or smaller
>> spring, but I don't see how you are changing the lever arm unless you
>> move the mounting points.
>
>Converting a car that previous did not have a coilover suspension to
>one that does (which I believe the original poster was doing?) almost
>certainly moves the mounting points. :)
==================================
And such a conversion usually moves them outward from the "fulcrum" which
lowers their effective rates. Hence the need for higher initial spring
rates.

See, I'm learning.  ;^)

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69 STS    TLS #13
'98 Neon R/T
<eric10mm@qni.com>

"Fill what's empty, empty what's full,
and scratch where it itches."
The Duchess of Windsor when asked
what is the secret of a long and happy life