Re: GPS and crashing new cars

To: "Murray, Matthew D." <MDMURRAY@gwns.com>, lollipop@ricochet.net
Subject: Re: GPS and crashing new cars
From: "Murray, Matthew D." <MDMURRAY@gwns.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 19:24:00 -0400
>From the sources, and logic, it seems to be more real than fiction. With
many
of these systems in cars that will call if the supplimental restraint
ssystem
is deployed (airbags), you can see this happening.

In the late eighties/early nineties, Toyota had a "bounty' for
dealerships/bodyshop personel to contact Toyota on any deployment. They
wanted to look at the car. It has been rumored for years that various CPUs
in
cars could store various parameters before a deployment (kinda like an
aircraft black box).

I believe this is the real deal (as far as the BMW). I guess a person would
not want to ball up a 2000+ car for any reason.

Matt Murray
mattm@optonline.net
From: Pat Kelly
Could this all be an urban myth? I hope so! It's great being broke all
the time and can't even think about buying one of these new cars...
 --Pat Kelly

"Murray, Matthew D." wrote:

> Three posts from the Porsche list < www.rennlist.com >. Interesting info
> for Driver's Ed and track events in new cars.
>
> Matt Murray
> mattm@optonline.net
> Subject: Dont crash a 2000+ model year car--- Watkins Glen true story
> ----BIG
> BROTHER & FEDS will know via GPS & Sattellite
> From: "Joe Fab"
>
> Crash any latemodel car with Global Positioning Sattelite technology.
There
> is absolutely no place to hide with Onstar and sattelite links! They will
> find you.
> here is why~~~~
>
> In the last 2-3 weeks there was a new 2000 BMW that wrecked at turn 10
> Watkins Glen....the BMW driver lost it in this very fast left hand
> sweeper.....car slide off with instructor at high speed into gravel trap
> <sideways> where the wheels wedged in and pitched the car into barrel roll
> that occurred many times!!! BMW was equiped with standard GPS sattelite
> communication for road-side assistance- distress. This is standard on most
> USA & Euro highline cars.
>
> Guess what happened---- car starts speaking in english and chiming and
> informing occupant that it has summoned emergency rescue services and
> notified the authorities! This continues repeatedly and the chiming
> continues unabated and the car tells the occupants not to move and what
not
> to touch.>
>
> BMW sattelite link computer notifies search and rescue. Ambulances and
Fire
> Trucks from the town of Watkins Glen rush to the track....sirens and horns
> blazin! No sh t.

The rest was snipped