Re: Potential of 2nd gen RX7?

To: Smokerbros@aol.com
Subject: Re: Potential of 2nd gen RX7?
From: Reijo Silvennoinen <rase@istar.ca>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 02:35:21 -0700
--------------7ED7788F9B80741BB6E76C27

Smokerbros@aol.com wrote:
<a number of snips in there>

>  RX7 Turbo, 2nd gen, is always something i've
>  wanted and can actually afford... are they competitive in stock?  The
>  proposed rules puts them in b-stock.  What about street prepared?  Koni and
>  Ground Control makes some very nice suspension components for them and there
>  are many other quality products out for the 13B.  >>
>
> The only combination that MIGHT be competitive in Stock or SP would be the
> normally aspirated in CSP.  You'd have to start with the lightest version and
> put the 160 hp GTUs motor in it.  You'll have to get creative with the rear
> suspension, I'd think, so it doesn't do that "passive rear end steering"
> thing...
>
> Charlie Davis

I have to agree here - I ran an '88 RX7 n/a for most of the summer and it isn't
really competitive.  Check over the National results and see if you can find one
in there somewhere - I think there was one in there somewhere a way down the
list.  You can still have fun with it and there are plenty of parts available
for
it.  One local fellow put a 350 Chev in his and a host of other mods and it made
for a very interesting car.....but obviously no longer in stock class.....has me
thinking!  ;^)

I don't think it is a terrible car but just not competitive in solo II in stock
form.  I also have an early Miata in SP trim that will run circles around it -
far more nimble and balanced.

Reijo

--------------7ED7788F9B80741BB6E76C27
 name="rase.vcf"

begin:vcard
n:Silvennoinen;Reijo
tel;cell:403-703-3087
tel;fax:403-247-5232
tel;home:403-247-5232
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Calgary Sports Car Club (CSCC)
adr:;;3419 - 50 St. N.W.;Calgary;Alberta;T3A 0E3;
version:2.1
email;internet:rase@istar.ca
note;quoted-printable:alternate e-mail:
reijosilvennoinen@netscape.net=0D=0A=0D=0ACSCC web site: