Re: patches on fire suits

To: "Linnhoff, Eric" <elinnhoff@smmc.saint-lukes.org>,
Subject: Re: patches on fire suits
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 14:50:49 -0600
Cotton

Patches are additions to the surface of the suit, not an integral part of
it. It does not hurt if they fall off, and in some cases that may be a
desired result. You might not WANT that patch staying on the suit in a fire.

A piece of "foreign matter" (thread) penetrating the suit is not going to
carry life-threatening flame through the suit to its wearer. If Bill Simpson
is safe in his famous soaked-in-gasoline test (does the gas not soak
through? Yes, but it was cool enough on the inside for it not to ignite in
there. And that was a 70s-era test), then a piece of thread is no threat.

Anything structural, like repairing a seam, should be done with Nomex
thread.

--Rocky