Re: STS Tires

To: autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: STS Tires
From: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 16:44:00 -0600

Paul Foster wrote:

> Are they shaved? Do you think having a stiffer suspension might help
> alleviate chunking? Do the top STS drivers have a set of street wheels
> and a set of race wheels or do they tow?

I'm far from a "top STS driver", but I've been autocrossing on street tires
for 5 years.  I've had at least 6 different sets of new street tires on my
car in that time, none have been shaved, and none have chunked.  The hard
OE tires that I started out with were close to it, though. (24k miles
before their first autox probably helped prevent chunking on those)

Having a stiffer than stock suspension, proper camber settings, GOOD
performance street tires, and proper inflation all help immensely.  Not
overdriving the tires probably helps just as much.

How would swapping tires or towing the car prevent chunking of the tires?
If they're going to chunk or otherwise wear excessively, it's not going to
be from street use.

--
Loren Williams | Loren@kscable.com
'94 Saturn SC2 | Wichita Region SCCA - http://www2.southwind.net/~scca