Re: Stock Classing (was: Marque Clubs)

To: Smokerbros@aol.com
Subject: Re: Stock Classing (was: Marque Clubs)
From: Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 18:19:48 -0500
Smokerbros@aol.com wrote:

> Which class has hundreds listed?  The competitive process determines what
> will win.  The best drivers select the fastest cars, and we have very little
> empirical data about the rest.  So far, SCCA doesn't know how to change
> that...

I was referring to all the model listings but it sure _seems_ like HS
has at least that many if you expand the NOC stuff. :)

I still think that you can come up with a reasonable ladder that will
promote or demote cars as new models come out. If nobody shows up in a
particular model, it probably should move down the ladder if future cars
are significantly faster than previous generations as has been the case
recently or if the car was too conservatively classed initially. The
underdog cars would slide down the ladder as less and less people ran
them until they became overdogs. Then the cycle would start again. I am
not saying that the top echelon people would like it too much, but they
usually don't when a revolutionary change is proposed.

But you do have a valid point. This is a sports car club and not that
many Taurus owners are going to show up in Topeka no matter the size of
the trophy or contingency. However, ten classes is a lot of classes.
Even if you use a technique where it was weighted towards the top you
should be able to give a heck of a lot of people a better chance than
they currently have.

I also think that faster courses are skewing things again - the Solo II
classes tend to fall apart because particular cars have a much greater
advantage.

All IMHO of course,

Paul Foster