Seven year Rule (Was Re: Stock Classing)

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Seven year Rule (Was Re: Stock Classing)
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 06:55:48 -0600
I doubt the wisdom of arguing something that is not gonna change
anyway, but I believe the advocate(s) of the "only newer cars in
Stock" concept miss some very important points.

Proof of legality is no more problem - may even be easier - with
an older car than with a shiny new car. You're required to have
the factory shop manual, which you can reliabily get for older
cars. This year's model may not have a factory manual printed
yet, or the information in the manual from last year may not be
completely up to date. Factory manuals get revised as time goes
on, and there will typically be more information about which
equipment was available in a given year after a car has been
around for several years.

Regarding procurement of parts for older cars, that's just not
SCCA's problem. If my Borgward Isabella or Humber Super Snipe is
classed in Stock and I want to run there, it's MY problem to come
up with legal replacement pistons, body parts, etc. If I can't
manage that, guess what? I can't legally run in Stock. That
"problem" takes care of itself quite nicely, thank you.

As for the suggestion that owners of older cars should want to
"improve" them beyond Stock, I would point out that that is the
owner's choice and SCCA has no business taking an advocacy
position in such an issue. As a practical matter, "improving" a
car to the point of having a ghost of a chance in SP requires
spending a LOT of time and money and, very often, making the car
unstreetable in the process. That's no problem for me - I compete
in a Solo II-only older SP car - but I would never suggest that
my approach is the only one that makes sense.

The only precedent for a "newer car" rule in the SCCA is Showroom
Stock. Given that SS requires EVERYTHING to be stock - air
filters, brake pads, etc. - and given that road race cars have
this tendency to get banged up and periodically need to be torn
down and completely rebuilt as a result, there _might_ be a
justification for the allowance in SS. It's an impossible stretch
to claim that Stock Category in Solo II has a similar set of
justifications. Where IS SS now, anyway?  ;<)

Jay