RE: SS Corvette setup info requested....

To: <Skerocdriv@aol.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: SS Corvette setup info requested....
From: "Greg Smith" <mr_beachcomber@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 09:02:14 -0500
> My father recently bought himself an 88 Corvette LT-1 that he is
> looking to run in SS.

Shawn, all '88 Vettes came with the L98 engine.  If your dad's Vette has an
LT1 engine, it would automatically be moved to BSP or BP depending on what
modifications were made to facilitate the engine swap.

> Ive searched the archives (What archives?) on team.net and found
> nothing. Id
> like to know of a web page or perhaps even first hand knowlege of
> the things
> to do, things to aviod for setting this car up for him? Ive been
> looking all
> night and havent come up with anything useful.
> Any help is appreciated!

Go to the Vette Net home page (http://www.vettenet.org) and search their
archives regarding the following items that most SS Vettes change:

1.  Change over to a K&N air filter
2.  Switch to a 180F degree thermostat
3.  Change over to synthetic fluids (oil, power steering, transmission, and
rear axel)
4.  Change to higher coefficient brake pads and high performance brake fluid
(since your dad's car was made prior to 1992, you can change over to braided
brake lines if you want)
5.  Use R-rated, DOT tires (I prefer Kumhos, but YMMV)
6.  Change suspension settings within SS rules
7.  Change to adjustable shocks ($$$) (not recommended except for the
hardcore)
8.  Change out the front sway bar to stiffer or softer bar depending upon
the original suspension.  (Z51 suspension is usually too stiff for uneven
surfaces while stock suspension is too soft for even smooth surfaces.  Z52
suspension is a good compromise for most people, but YMMV)

Read the rulebook regarding legal Stock modifications especially if the
engine needs to be rebuilt.  Good luck!

Greg Smith
'89 BSP Vette