Forward: Looking for an Auto-x car. Why not this?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Forward: Looking for an Auto-x car. Why not this?
From: List Administration <lists@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 18:05:33 -0700 (MST)
For some reason this was not sent to autox@autox.team.net.

mjb.
----

     Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 05:09:11 -0500
     From: "Michael R. DeBusk" <mdebusk@vt.edu>
     Subject: Looking for an Auto-x car.  Why not this?

I've been thinking about getting a good autocross car myself.  I'm not
going to be able to make any serious financial commitments just yet though.
 I've been wondering why not get a used police car from public auction?
I've heard that the prices are pretty good, they're four door and if you've
ever tried to out-run one you know that they're fast.  They have automatic
transmissions, but if you want the perfect car I think you'd have to build
it yourself.

Are police package cars classed too high?  Are they not reliable after the
abuse they receive?  I guess this is as good a time as any to solicit
opinions on this and I know the folks on this list won't hold anything back.

                Mac