Looking for an Auto-x car. Why not this?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Looking for an Auto-x car. Why not this?
From: mikelowe@pop.pointecom.net
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 02:18:33 +0000
>      From: "Michael R. DeBusk" <mdebusk@vt.edu>
>      Subject: Looking for an Auto-x car.  Why not this?
>
> I've been thinking about getting a good autocross car myself.  I'm not
> going to be able to make any serious financial commitments just yet though.
>  I've been wondering why not get a used police car from public auction?

     Ahh, the Aggie Special.  :-)  I can think of at least a dozen
vehicles bought by Aggies at the Texas state trooper's auctions.
The Caprices were nearly the same as Impala SSs functionally.  I
know a few of them that still humble some F-bodies and Mustangs at
the strip.  :-)
     The troopers also auctioned off their Mustangs and Camaros over
the years.  My buddies have had great fun flogging them over the
years.  IIRC, the Texas DPS Camaros were nearly 1LEs.  Chris Ramey
won a recent F Stock national championship with such a car (with some
mods).
     Does your state or a nearby state use Mustangs or Camaros as
police interceptors?  If so, they'll probably auction them off
eventually.  Call the main state trooper's office and ask about
auctions.  Check for a website too.

Mike Lowe -- Texas Aggie Class of 93
One of the few Aggies _not_ to buy an auctioned V8 car over the last
dozen years  :-)
96 Miata R and 94 Miata Turbo