Re: Impala SS was: Dakota RT

To: "Dave Whitworth" <dave@wcsllc.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Impala SS was: Dakota RT
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 21:19:17 -0600
From: Dave Whitworth <dave@wcsllc.net>

>We have a very large contingent of Impala SS's here in St. Louis.  Several
>show up at many of our events, and I rode with one guy who was having
>trouble finding the course one time.  I was VERY impressed with the
handling
>of that car.  He had enough mods to put him in ESP, but he has steadily
>moved up the ladder in the class.

In 1996, I had just learned that I was to drive an automatic-transmission
Corvette at Nationals.  Bill Latimer suggested, partially in jest, that I
should drive his Impala SS at Canterbury Park as a sort of preparation.  The
biggest car I had seriously driven in an autocross before that was a Mustang
convertible built to Shelby specs.  That was in the early seventies, and it
was a manual-transmission.  The only automatic I have ever owned is my
Suburban.

The first thing I noticed is that I had no idea how close the pylons were.
(That certainly didn't change when I got into the Corvette.)  The next was
that I didn't understand all the ramifications of automatic transmissions.

The course that day had some good fast bits.  I was powering my way into a
fast left, admiring the car's slight drift under power, as the engine came
up to a shift point.  The back end decided to step out.  I quickly decided
that the thing to do was stay on the power, wait for the shift to end and
hope the rear hooked back up.  It did.

Although a perusal of the Nationals results will confirm that I didn't
figure out how to drive a Corvette (now THERE'S an understatement), I had a
good time wheeling the big Chevvy around a course.

Thanks, Bill, wherever you are.

"It makes a nice noise when it goes faster"
- 4-year-old Adam, upon seeing a bitmap of Grandma Susie's TR4.