RE: tires, load, size

To: "'David K Yeung'" <dkyeung@juno.com>,
Subject: RE: tires, load, size
From: "Linnhoff, Eric" <elinnhoff@smmc.saint-lukes.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 08:28:48 -0600
Most passenger car tires are rated at well over 1000# load per tire and
truck/SUV tires even higher yet.  I would much prefer at least an extra 50%
load capacity for a safety margin.  A while ago I did some math, with
formulas given me from Andy Whittle (AM driver out of St. Louis), and found
out that at max cornering loads up to 51% of my Neon's weight can be on the
outside front tire.  That's nearly 1300# on one tire and wheel and
strut/spring.

Kinda makes one think that there are indeed plenty of stresses imparted on
parts even on a lowly Stock class vehicle.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
1998 Dodge Neon R/T
#69 STS    #13 TLS
eric10mm@qni.com

"If someone offers you a breath mint, accept it."
H. Jackson Brown, Jr. - Life's Little Treasure Book, on wisdom