Experts???

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Experts???
From: "Paul Foster" <pfoster@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 09:16:42 -0500
Mark Sirota wrote:

<<<Everything is a tradeoff.  Let the experts make the call.>>>

>From the context I assume you are talking about pro racing organizers, such
as the FIA, CART, and NASCAR. If so I disagree. Unfortunately, history has
shown the race organizers need to be prodded to make any large safety
change. It seems to be a totally reactionary process based on someone famous
dying.

Regarding open face helmets I suggest you take a poll of NASCAR drivers as
to why they now wear them. Most now wear a closed face helmet when none did
15 years ago. I believe Kyle Petty was the first. Only the diehards and Dale
Jr. seem to be enamoured with the open face helmet. But they are still
legal.

I saw AJ Foyt at Laguna Seca in '89 wearing leather gloves. Let the experts
decide? Yeah, right.

Paul Foster