Re: Nurburgring the Ruf Way

To: <Rob_LaMoreaux@compuserve.com>, <ax-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Nurburgring the Ruf Way
From: "Paul Foster" <pfoster@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 09:26:28 -0500
<<<Actually my point was more that the driver was too showy to be anywhere
near as fast as he could be, and that the car didn't seem to be as magical
as the Porsche nuts would lead you to believe. It seemed to be very
tail-heavy, prone to oversteer, and boy is that shift throw long for a
sportscar.>>>

I agree it's not the fastest way around but he was moving along at a very
good clip and he obviously knew the track like the back of his hand. There
is nothing magical about the handling of 930s, particularly the early ones.
Diabolical is the usual word people use to describe it. New owners are
encouraged to take a drivers school or two because most of them end up
trashed after the trailing throttle oversteer sends them careening into the
Armco the first time they try to stomp it.

Interestingly, I was watching Speedvision last night and I saw Nelson Piquet
tossing around a Bimmer in about the same way. You can argue all you want
that they are overdriving but it is also car control at it's best to be able
to save it a couple of times nearly every corner.

<<<It was fun to watch though, and if I had realized it was a promo I would
have enjoyed it more. >>>

That's strictly a guess as I imagine most Nurburgring (sorry for the
misspelling) drivers do not come with a helicopter and multiple cameras
scattered all over the track. Someday I gotta try it myself...

Paul Foster