[Fwd: Importing a (competition) car to the US]

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fwd: Importing a (competition) car to the US]
From: Reijo Silvennoinen <rase@telusplanet.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 12:21:57 -0700
Lance is a local member of the Calgary Sports Car Club and may be moving to the
US of A for work.  He has a '91 Turbo MR2 and is wondering about importing it to
the US - anyone else done that with an MR2 specifically?

For street use I believe there are some differences - air bag, DRL's, and
labeling of panels for theft protection purposes........all I know is that a
Canadian Miata, for instance, cannot be registered in the US due to the labeling
(I know it sounds dumb but....).  However, a competition-only car may be
a different deal - I'm sure people bring competition cars to the US all the time
- what about the Lotus Elise?  It is for sale in Canada/US as a competition-only
car!  It is not eligible for street use!

If anyone has info on that I would appreciate it - as would Lance!

TIA,

Reijo

--
Reijo Silvennoinen, P.Eng.