RE: Was Meridian, now BIG courses...

To: "Brad Cox" <COXB@tmfhs.org>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Was Meridian, now BIG courses...
From: "Bruce Haden" <Bhaden@ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 12:28:26 -0800
WELL SAID!!

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-autox@autox.team.net [mailto:owner-autox@autox.team.net]On
Behalf Of Brad Cox
Sent: Monday, March 05, 2001 11:26 AM
To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Was Meridian, now BIG courses...

>>I wonder though if the Tours and Nationals shouldn't be looked at as a
whole for conformance to what is typically seen around the country in
terms of average course size and speed.<<

I think a lot of people attend these events with the anticipation that the
experience will be a departure from the 'typical'.  For myself, that
experience includes not only great people, but big Nationals style courses.
I can't imagine that I'm alone in this opinion (maybe I am...).  That aspect
of a NT or Nationals really adds spice to the whole experience for me.
Everything is bigger.  Larger classes, larger crowds, larger Hoosiers ;-),
and larger courses.  As long as safety is still *top* priority, I like the
fact that I may see larger sweepers, or longer slaloms than I am used to.
Since I have no realistic aspirations toward a trophy in these events, the
experience becomes my motivation for attending.

Besides, those who are going to be in the trophy hunt probably attend
several NT's as well as Nationals on a yearly basis anyway.  Therefore
giving them the experience necessary to contend on this type of course
design.  If people like me want to get that type of experience then they
need to cough up the cash and start travelling just like most of the better
competitors have done.  This is why I certainly don't feel cheated if
someone who has more experience on a large course beats me.  However, I
would be fairly disappointed if I traveled hours or days to a big event only
to find slower, shorter, tight little courses like the ones back home.  All
IMO of course...

-brad