RWD Corollas?

To: autox@autox.team.net, bdewitt@ix.netcom.com
Subject: RWD Corollas?
From: "Murray, Matthew D." <MDMURRAY@gwns.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 21:31:00 -0500
Yes, the Corolla GT-S had limited slip. There should be a sticker on the
live axle. If only it had an independant rear. '87 was a coupe only.
Production was from '83 to '87. The VIN will not tell you if it had
limited slip. I think only the axle/transmission code might have it.
That code is on an aluminum plate that is riveted to the center or
driver's side of the fire wall. As I remember Dave Beck telling me, the
'85s were lighter than the '86 or '87. Same motor as the first gen MR2,
FX 16, and FX 16 GT-S (4AGE?). All of this is from a somewhat faded
memory.

And yes, I believe it was a clutch type. Dave Beck might have some
additional info, if he is still on the list. I'll cc him from home.

Matt Murray
former 1987 Corolla GT-S owner
former Toyota Parts Manager
Maybe a Toyota expert out there can confirm or disprove something for me.
Two sources of information on the web indicate that the 1985-87 Corolla GTS
had a clutch type limited slip rear end.  I also here they wore pretty fast.
Anybody know for sure?

Thanks,

Brent DeWitt
DS 93, 96 Neon ACR