Magnetic and Static Cling Numbers

To: AutoX <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Magnetic and Static Cling Numbers
From: Jim Ourand <sojim@home.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 21:49:33 -0800
Some people are making this way to complicated.

#1:  A roll of magnetic material, 24" wide and 50' long, .30 mil thick,
will run about $120 to $150.  If you need that much, get it from a sign
supply warehouse, not the sign shop itself.  The important part is that
it be .30 mil thick, not .20 or .10. (this is not a time to worry about
weight).  For lesser amounts expect to pay $2.50 to $5 a square foot.

#2:  If you want to do your own style, create it on a computer and print
out a template and trace it onto the magnetic.  With a steady hand and a
sharp xacto (sp), crease the magnetic material and break along the
crease.  A couple of sample cuts will give you an idea of the pressure
required.

#3:  Magnetic material can be painted, best with a spray paint.

#4:  Vinyl material can be applied to your magnetic numbers, it is
available at most sign shops for a $6 to $10 a yard.  Cut it slightly
larger than your number, stick it on, turn the number upside down and
trim the excess off with a sharp xacto.

#5:  Order your numbers from an autocross friendly sign shop.  I offer
up to 12" x 24" magnetic rectangles for $40 a pair.  White background,
your choice of color lettering and typestyle.

#6:  Static Cling rectangles are available for about $60 a pair.  Static
Cling can be applied to ANY smooth surface, but should be applied WET.
The excess water is then squeezed out, creating a bond that will last
through most slalom/autox weekends.

You can see samples of the above at:  http://www.racenumbers.com/  The
site has some link problems, but we're designing a new one that should
be up in a couple of months.  For the record, I've been supplying
autocrossers and racers with permanent vinyl, magnetic and static cling
numbers and class letters since 1985.

For the balance of the weekend, I'm at the San Diego National Tour,
which has in excess of 290 entrants.

Jim Ourand
Pro Image Racing Identification
(619) 246-5066