Re: Supra=Japanese Camaro?

To: <msmith2@columbus.rr.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Supra=Japanese Camaro?
From: "Jan Schmidt" <jschmidt@kumc.edu>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 22:03:02 -0600
Mike
ONe small problem, though. The Porsche was listed as 273 ci or 4.5 liters.
Bill Schmidt KC region

>>> "Mike Smith" <msmith2@columbus.rr.com> 03/31/01 06:23PM >>>
Because, within this statement,

> When I think of ponycars, I think of relatively heavy (3200-3600# in stock
> trim), rear wheel drive, 4.5L+ front-engine V8, tire-spinning-torque-
> machines with 2 doors, 2 comfortable seats in front and 2 uncomfortable
> (for adults) seats in the back that either exude male macho...

The only part that does not apply to a Supra, or a 300ZX 2+2,  is the 4.5L
V8 part. Although most would agree that the Supra and 300ZX are just as
capable of spinning their tires.

If a 4.0L V8 is close enough, a Porsche 928 fits that description too.

> I'll admit to not knowing a great deal about Supras, 300ZX-TT, RX7-TT,
> 944T or 928's, but I think those 5 cars, in the mind of the *general* fast
> car *enthusiasts*, have more in common with each other than they do
> with ponycars like Mustangs, Camaros and Firebirds.

A 944T might fit due to a similar power to weight ratio, but is too light
(aren't they around 2500-2600lbs?), and the RX-7 is a two-seat sports car.

The biggest differences between all those cars and the 'ponycar' is the rear
axle / suspension, though Ford has at least made a half-hearted attempt at
IRS....

Mike
CP 58