Supra=Japanese Camaro?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Supra=Japanese Camaro?
From: "Jeff Winchell" <Jeff@Winchell.Com>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 15:36:21 -0800

I am curious about why these cars are considered similar to ponycars.

Disclaimer: I don't want to discuss whether Supras should be in SM. Nor
does this have anything to do with any other Solo II classing...

When I think of ponycars, I think of relatively heavy (3200-3600# in stock
trim), rear wheel drive, 4.5L+ front-engine V8, tire-spinning-torque-
machines with 2 doors, 2 comfortable seats in front and 2 uncomfortable
(for adults) seats in the back that either exude male macho...

or are "pretty" versions with much less HP (around 200) for people who
want to think sporty without feeling macho... often these are convertibles
bought by women (not that women don't buy the full-out macho versions
too).

In the past two decades, Ford and GM (mustangs, camaros and
firebirds) are the only cars that come to mind within this criterion. In the
60's AMC and Dodge had models too.

While there have been occasionally low-volume 4 cylinder turbo versions
of these cars, I don't see this as being significant enough to think of it
being sufficient to consider Japanese/German 4 cylinder turbos as part
of the ponycar class of cars.

I'll admit to not knowing a great deal about Supras, 300ZX-TT, RX7-TT,
944T or 928's, but I think those 5 cars, in the mind of the *general* fast
car *enthusiasts*, have more in common with each other than they do
with ponycars like Mustangs, Camaros and Firebirds.

I'd be interested in facts to the contrary or support of that statement.