Re: Concensus ( was RE: Stock Rule Question: Struts )

To: David K Yeung <dkyeung@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Concensus ( was RE: Stock Rule Question: Struts )
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 16:19:40 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 2 Jul 2001, David K Yeung wrote:
> I missed what kind of car this is for (maybe you never told) but slotting
> the holes is sometimes the factory prescribed procedure for adjusting
> camber. check the service manual before you decide the struts can't be
> used in stock category. just because you can't do it on one car doesn't
> mean it's not legal on a different car.

   The car is a C Stock "spec racer"; 1991 Toyota MR2.  Crash bolts are
the factory prescribed procedure for the front struts, but my question
relates to the rear struts.  I'll double check my manual tonight with
respect to the procedure for the rear struts, but I don't think Toyota
recommends it.  Certainly not to the degree it has been done on mine.

> however, since the car had lowered springs on it, there is a chance the
> slots were cut to -reduce- the amount of negative camber if the
> suspension design has a non-liner camber curve.

   They're actually slotted in both directions, on at least one hole.  It
appears that someone received a Dremel tool for Christmas and got a bit
out of control.

   Fortunately, I've arranged to buy new used struts for $6.25 each,
and they have slightly fewer miles on them than mine!

   Anyone need some cheater struts for an MR2? ;)

--
 D a v i d  H i l l m a n
 hillman@planet-torque.com