Women's classes again!

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Women's classes again!
From: "Janice Sansone Rick" <janice@wcsllc.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 18:56:43 -0500
I started this thread to because I felt that I wanted to raise the bar of
competition in women's classes, not eliminate them.  Since I started this, I
have now listened to a lot of different points of views, some good, some
informative, some argumentative.

I still think that women's classes are good for the sport and encourages
couples to work together and both have a chance to win something.  The growing
number of lady drivers in the last 29 years proves that. I point out that the
first Nationals had about a dozen ladies doing this, and look at us now.

In many prepared and modified classes it is easier for the drivers to be
separated by the classes.  Ladies class provided that for that in those
classes too.  Many men and women are too different in height, weight, etc. to
make the change over to run head to head easily.

Watching some of the men support the ladies during their class is really neat.
I have seen this many times and think it's great to watch them work for each
other in a sport they both love and want to trophy in.  It take a pretty neat
entrant to care so much about the win of their wife/husband.

I also heard that many gals go to the open classes when they get better and to
gain more respect from the men.

I applaud the men (and ladies) that admire a driver due to their abilities
rather than their gender.  I like the idea of the classes being separate and I
want those great ladies back so they can encourage, help and push the ladies
in the ladies classes.  I wish they would help get the ladies to be so good
that when the people who wish to compare ladies and open times they would see
no real difference in their times.

The ladies classes suffered when they lost the some of these great gals who
really could show them how to excel at this sport.  Many of them still help
and try to encourage, but they have left their ranks and are in fact no longer
"one of them".

Some of them may have left to gain the respect of the guys and I hope they
realize there are men in our sport that view a win as a win, have respect for
good drivers no matter what class they are in.  A win by a person at a
National Event that wins over only one other competitor but worked hard for
that win deserves respect, no matter how the times compare to any other
class.

I respect the ladies who have moved to open and although it's obvious I want
them back I defend their right to do this, as they are following the rules, as
written, and doing what they want to do.

As for dropping ladies classes that do not have more than a few competitors,
now that's a real thought, but I think it tends to slow the growth of couple
in our sport, and undo the ladies growth we have had in the last 29 years.

Good sportsmanship isn't about "hollow" victories.  It's about being happy
when someone in your sport excels within the rules.  Of course we all want to
win, but I agree that I admire anyone who wins, I just hope it can be me
sometimes.

If everyone had the attitude and idea that AS was different than ASL, just as
GS is to BS, it would be great.  I know of a GSL win that was extremely close
to the GS class many years ago and it didn't seem to matter to anyone.  It
wasn't a competition between sexes.  It was a win and everyone congratulated
everyone for how well they drove.

This was before this new age of really great women drivers came along to grace
our sport. The level bar was raised by them and I am glad they did so well at
it.

As for the FUN of the sport - CP/CPL still has the prize.  They cheer for each
other, help each other, loan cars if another's breaks down, and when the
winners are crowned they cheer loud and clear.

No one in that class refers to "hollow" championships.

Now if there are men that feel that the ladies classes are somehow inferior to
THEIR class than I defend their right to think that, but I think they are
wrong to look down on anyone else's win.  In every sport, entrant earn respect
by their skills, and their sportsmanship they display.  Some men will always
think that most women are inferior and are not as good as men in anything.
That's an age old thought that won't change in the discussion.

Thanks to the secure men and women out there that want their fellow Solo II
competitors to do the best they can no matter what class, sex, or
competition.