V6 Camaro - Vince's question

To: <ax-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: V6 Camaro - Vince's question
From: Sethracer@aol.com
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 17:34:56 EDT
You wrote:
Subject: G Stock Camaro
Can anyone tell me if the V-6 Camaro that runs in GS
has, or can have, Positraction?  Also, what is the engine displacement?
        Thanks,  Vince Bly  #49  STS

Vince - I know you already received a number of replies on this, but I wanted
to add another. Posi was always a stand alone option on the Camaro, V6 or V8.
From 1993- on it was standard on all V8 cars, optional on V6 cars. The V6
motored cars, the 93 and newer, use the same rear axle as the V8 cars, although
gearing was usually different. The 1993-95 cars had a 3.4L 60 degree V6. Pretty
anemic and slow. In late 1995, Chevy installed the 3.8L 90 degree Series II V6,
derived from the Buick V6 of old. This engine, still, in 2001, the standard
Camaro motor, was rated at 200 HP in the Camaro. With a 5-speed box, this is a
quick car, still sluggish with the automatic. In 1996 Chevy began offered a Y87
performance/handling option for the V6 cars. It included: rear disc brakes,
Positraction, different front and rear sway bars, dual exhaust, better axle
ratio and the quicker rack & pinion steering of the Z28. It was, essentially, a
Z28 with the 6-cylinder motor. My 1996 Y87 V6 won the !
1997 SF region G-stock title, ju
st barely holding on at the end of the season when Andy McKee kicked my butt
around with his Acura GS/R. The V6, though, when running on good DOT radials,
like BFG R1s at the time, could beat many of the F/Stock Mustangs and Z28s.
That depended on the course, though, and if they also had fresh tires and an
experienced driver. . . . .  I still drive the car daily. In 1999 I swapped on
wider wheels and slicks and took the regional C/P title against almost no
opposition. But the car handled even better on slicks, of course, and was
better balanced than most of the V8s. It still gets 24 MPG in daily commutes
and 30-31MPG at 70 on the highway. I still have the original clutch, but the
posi, though resident, quit performing a while ago. But I have retired the car
from racing and built another Camaro for C/P. Now, if your original intent of
your question was to ascertain the legality of a Camaro that you run against,
you probably got more of an answer than you wanted. I love this Cam!
aro. Oh and you can buy new ones
 for about $14,000! - Seth Emerson