Re: Changing Mazda computer in ASP RX-7

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Changing Mazda computer in ASP RX-7
From: "Dave Hardy" <dave2020@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 21:32:17 +0200
This brought up an "opportunity" I saw, and wanted to get some feedback on
if it is illegal, and I'm just not seeing it.  In STS, they say that ECU's
can be changed, but must retain the factory box.  They also include the VW
1.8T as a sample vehical for the class demographic.  The VW 1.8T benefits
GREATLY from a chip change.  Eurotech quoted my buddy 40-45 HP and 45-50
ft-lbs. when coupled to an open intake and exhaust (both STS legal).  I see
nothing in the STS rules stopping this.  Does anyone else?  Is this really
what they meant when they made the ECU rule?  210 ft-lbs... Just what every
street tired FWD needs!

Dave Hardy
89 SM

> >Is it legal to change out the factory computer to an
> >aftermarket to run the fuel injection in ASP?
>
> Yes, PROVIDED the computer does nothing to control the supercharging
system.
>  I assume that the car you describe here has a factory turbo-supercharging
setup.
>  Anything that affects the control of the turbo would be illegal in Street
Prepared.

> >So if someone put an Appexi Computer Stand alone fuel
> >computer inplace of the stock fuel computer, is this
> >legal for ASP.
>
> Dunno.  Does this computer help run the turbo?
>
> In cars which do not have superchargine systems ("normally-aspirated")
computers