Re: Ft. Myers - Sound Control?

To: miatakat@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Ft. Myers - Sound Control?
From: JDMurphy47@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 20:23:56 EST
Kat,
Please re-read my email below that you responded to and, maybe if you can
find them, my previous posts regarding sound control at Ft. Myers.  In all my
years of autocrossing since 1970 I have never been against sound control, I
was lamenting my surprise at the sound control measures due to my total
ignorance of your particular circumstances with new homes being built nearby
as told to me by Howard Duncan at our SEDIV convention just recently.  I
really wanted to come down for the NT and compete on the concrete that I have
been told about by my fellow Atlanta autocrossers.  My ONLY point was that I
could not justify making modifications to my two cycle exhaust on the hope
that after a NINE hour drive I MIGHT pass sound control for the only event of
the year where sound control is required including Topeka Nationals - nothing
like getting bounced after spending a lot of money and then driving home for
nine hours with nothing positive to show for it - a major bummer!

Your presumptuous comment that you say that "I feel that I cannot be
competitive without being loud" could not be further from the truth -
competitiveness has absolutely nothing to do with being loud (my F500 has
registered around 98db in Atlanta in the past - not really loud).  I can make
my exhaust quieter and still be very fast (the word I suspect you wanted to
use instead of competitive) but I have higher priorities for work on my car
and no NATIONAL sound control has been legislated - yet.

As apparently you did not read my email closely enough before you responded
to it - my first name is "JIM" - NOT "JD"!!!!  The only person I know of
called JD is JD Kemp and I am afraid that he would be highly insulted if I
was somehow to be compared to him!!  :)  :)   ----- Remember, JD, I put
smiley's here - - - - uh,oh - - - I better put my flame suit on quick!

JIM Murphy
1984 DareDevil F500 FMod #40