RE: So, how's the weather....(getting long)

To: "'Sean Minehart'" <mr_two_2001@yahoo.com>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: So, how's the weather....(getting long)
From: "Stolz, Ken" <StolzK@mso.umt.edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 12:28:26 -0700
Don't feel sorry for me Sean.  I live here because I like to ski and slide
sideways in cars without trashing the tires (REALLY!).  We don't usually get
a lot of snow in town (so the shoveling is minimal), but lots in the
mountains around town.  Our "little" ski area is 15 minutes away and has
night skiing so I "work out" there two nights a week - two hours of non-stop
runs - lots more interesting than a gym and I can finish my workout with a
beer.  Our "big" ski area is just 30 minutes away and we've had a least 6
inches of new snow each day for the past two weekends.

In Boise where my dad and brother live, they often golf and ski on the same
day!  All depends on your elevation.

Now for the autocross content.  This fall we were showing our ski race team
kids some autocross video to get them to look ahead and to see their lines
in a different way.  And last spring we showed our autocross club meeting
some ski racing video to get them to look ahead and to see their lines in a
different way.  Unfortunately, I often have the same problem in slaloms in
both sports - getting behind in my turns.  At least in autocross, I don't
have my daughter reminding me to keep my hands forward ;-).

So when you watch the Olympic alpine events in the coming weeks, just
envision cones where the gates are, .. think of slalom skis as STS tires, GS
skis as DOT R and downhill skis as slicks, .. and Picabo Street as - nope -
won't go there.

~ Ken