re: C5 vs Worker, guess who lost?

To: JonesMB <jonesmb@arthem.com>,
Subject: re: C5 vs Worker, guess who lost?
From: Chris Eckles <MRoadster@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 11:51:34 -0500
(discussed on the Atlanta list this morning, re-post of my response)

OK, Mark, you just rang my bell.

I was the person that he claimed to see, and thus stopped.

Roger was given a re-run.  We, the entire group of us there at the station,
complained long and loud afterwards to the event officials in the car
collecting paperwork (not just runners, these were some of the top guys).
If Roger's re-run was allowed (given an official time), then it would make
me sick.

Sick with anger.  Roger had screwed up 2 gates earlier, and had to back
track to make the gate.  Thus killing his time.  I had just set up a cone,
had run away from the course, and had reached 30-40 feet from the course
when he entered my zone of risk (not going very fast, as he had just
started from zero again).  I had turned around to face his car, was backing
away (now at a safe distance), and had no red flag.

As I explained to my worker buddies, this was a prime example of a top
level driver trying to get every last bit out of a course - any excuse for
a re-run.  All co-workers agreed that I was far from the course well before
Roger arrived.

This situation was totally Roger's fabrication.  I have two witnesses who
will back me up strongly, one here in Atlanta (Arjun and Rene).  There was
never a question about safety (on this issue - plenty of risks at the
event, at other work stations).  Not that I blame him for trying.

But he darned well should not have succeeded.

(new)  I have discussed this with my fellow co-worker, who had the flag and
radio.  He re-stated this same position, and indicated that he went to the
trailer after the work assignment to argue this point, unsuccessfully it
seems.  We all agree that the safest way is the best.  If there is a doubt,
STOP!  Then get the re-run you earned.  This was not the case, here.
Safety was never an issue.

Chris Eckles
Atlanta
Blue M Coupe

At the Fort Myers Tour event my co-driver, Roger O. Johnson, stopped on
course because a worker was standing near the racing line.  Roger said he
thought the worker was going to throw a red flag; the worker didn't, but
Roger had already slowed in anticipation.  Apparently the worker called in
and said that there was no reason to stop, a bit of a heated conversation
ensued, with Roger finally being granted a rerun.  I know that when I
worked
that same area of the course we could barely the cones set back in time
before the next vehicle came through.
<