Re: SM2 survival 6.0L limit

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SM2 survival 6.0L limit
From: "Jeff Cawthorne" <jabberwalky13@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 13:10:09 -0800
Ben Thatcher wrote,

> As for there not being cars on the street that already would fit the
> class. Come on! There are tons of blown Miatas, CRXs, MR2s just for the
> itty bitty car inclined. Then there is a whole 'nother group of Vette
> drivers with 383 or 406 motors or blowers on them. Let alone all the
> Vettes that are cammed, and otherwise warmed over. There are HUGE numbers
> of them.

I will be one of these Corvettes, a killer 383 (450hp/480lb/ft), but there
is one major problem.  There is a 6.0L limit in SM/2, so there go all those
stroked Corvettes.  It also kills all the stock vintage Corvettes, Mustangs,
and FBodies, remember, they were all available with over 6.0L engines, like
454's, 396's, 427's, 428's, 390's etc...  The SM2 rules need to allow the
stock engine sizes, and also allow very common engine packages like 383's
and 406's.  But that is just my ever so humble opinion.

> It WOULD be fun to build a 406 small block and take the challenge to get
> the weight down to 2500 lbs. in my 86 Vette to show the ricers what
> 'Murican iron can do.

I agree, but it isn't currently legal.

If we want these cars in this class then we will need to write letters to
raise the 6.0L limit.  You also mentioned blown Corvettes, which also aren't
legal in SM2, I recall there being a 4.0L limit to blown/turbo cars (but
this is from memory, so take it easy if it isn't accurate), so we are just
totally out of luck.

Jeff Cawthorne
San Diego
Soon to be 383 89 Corvette, with no class to run in except AP