Re: [evolution-disc.] SM2 survival

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [evolution-disc.] SM2 survival
From: bthatch@juno.com
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 17:03:05 -0500
Well, let's see, we have Stock, Street Touring and Street Mod for
streetable cars. Everything else is non-streetable if you take them to
the limit of the rules. My prediction is that if the SM classes get going
that (non) Street Prepared fields will start to resemble Prepared and Mod
numbers.

Why? Because SP lets you do all sorts of expensive stuff to your intake,
exhaust, suspension but makes you stay with stock brakes, spring types
and bodywork. Then to top it all off, SP allows removal of all the air
polution controls so the cars aren't legal to be driven on the street in
most of the populated parts of the USA.

Street Mod lets the creative genius fly in a street car. That's appealing
to a lot of people because they like to drive their fun cars on the
street. They want to buy the big cam or the special head or really tear
into their engines, trannies, rearends and suspensions. They want to put
humongous brakes on there, too. Makes sense, make your street car faster
then put some good brakes on it so you can stop it. This all fits in
nicely with the average hot car magazine reader.

The "we have too many classes" crowd haven't given any good reasons why
class proliferation is bad for the sport except that y'all don't want
them. Oh, the other good one is: "Class proliferation dilutes the
competition" in the old classes. Puleeeese. Another good one is that new
classes don't attract new drivers but just reshuffles the old drivers
into these new classes. So what? Maybe they really wanted to run in this
type class all along.

As a former event organizer, I can't tell you how many times a driver
shows up with his pride and joy street ride sporting a hot cam,
aftermarket heads and all sorts of other internal engine goodies. And we
get to tell this motorhead that his car must run in EM against 1500 lb.
full-race cars on slicks.  Then we wonder why these guys never come back.
HELLO!!!! Of course, the regular EM guys are licking their chops to have
some trophy fodder in their class.

But there is never an end to THAT debate. Let's just give the motorheads
a fun place to play and let them at it. Frankly, I think Dennis doesn't
want SM2 to go because he might be afraid some of his SM faithful will
jump to SM2.

 Y'all really think that keeping the
> numbers
> > of classes down serves our sport?