Re: [evolution-disc.] SM2 survival

To: <bthatch@juno.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [evolution-disc.] SM2 survival
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 17:44:19 -0600
bthatch@juno.com wrote:

>Well, let's see, we have Stock, Street Touring and Street Mod
for
>streetable cars.

If you include SM as a "streetable" class, then you have to
include SP. Why? Because SM allows _everything_ you can do in SP,
and then some more. Lots and lots more.

>Everything else is non-streetable if you take them to
>the limit of the rules.

And Street Mod isn't? Hahahahaha. Good one, Ben.

>Why? Because SP lets you do all sorts of expensive stuff to your
intake,
>exhaust, suspension but makes you stay with stock brakes, spring
types
>and bodywork.

And?

>Then to top it all off, SP allows removal of all the air
>polution controls so the cars aren't legal to be driven on the
street in
>most of the populated parts of the USA.

So does Street Mod.

>Street Mod lets the creative genius fly in a street car.

That's right. And as soon as a "creative genius" actually builds
an SM car, we'll see just how badly outclassed everything
currently running in the class will become. I predict that, once
this process gets underway, lots and lots of current SM
competitors will start thinking that maybe SP isn't such a bad
idea after all. But, as with your prediction, that's just one
opinion.

>The "we have too many classes" crowd haven't given any good
reasons why
>class proliferation is bad for the sport except that y'all don't
want
>them.

Well, why don't we just give everyone that shows up to an event a
trophy and be done with it? If we have 70 classes and 120 or 130
competitors, how many trophies are we giving out just for
attendance? And lots of local events have fewer entrants than
classes.

>"Class proliferation dilutes the
>competition" in the old classes. Puleeeese.

See above. If you insist on getting a trophy, you can just go buy
one. It'll save time.

> Another good one is that new
>classes don't attract new drivers but just reshuffles the old
drivers
>into these new classes. So what? Maybe they really wanted to run
in this
>type class all along.

Or maybe they recognize the ease of winning a "fresh" class
before there is a cadre of fully-developed cars for it.

>As a former event organizer, I can't tell you how many times a
driver
>shows up with his pride and joy street ride sporting a hot cam,
>aftermarket heads and all sorts of other internal engine
goodies. And we
>get to tell this motorhead that his car must run in EM against
1500 lb.
>full-race cars on slicks.

That's just not true. Atlanta has had OSP since at least the 80s.
Nobody who drives up in a car with a license plate on it has to
run EM in Atlanta.

>HELLO!!!! Of course, the regular EM guys are licking their chops
to have
>some trophy fodder in their class.

E Mod has been totally devoid of Nationally-competitive cars in
every region I've run in. In the past, I've beaten local EM times
in an ES Volkswagen. Many times. Letting a street car run EM in a
local event typically gives them a better chance of getting a
trophy than if you put 'em in HS.

>Let's just give the motorheads
>a fun place to play and let them at it.

They've had it all along.