Re: April Fast Track shock proposals *facts*

To: Smokerbros@aol.com
Subject: Re: April Fast Track shock proposals *facts*
From: TeamZ06@aol.com
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 23:51:25 EST
In a message dated 3/10/02 9:53:52 AM Central Standard Time, Smokerbros
writes:

> Remember that the allowances as they were written were there to allow shocks
> that were provided by the shock manufacturers that weren't dimensionally
> correct.  This was mostly because shock manufacturers would use one part
> number for several applications.  Current high tech shock manufacturers
> will build a shock to whatever dimensions you specify.  So, someone who
> opportunistically took advantage of the allowance may have to have their
> shocks reconfigured by the manufacturer.  Add a spacer to the shock body,
> and get a new shaft made, and reassemble your shocks to the OE dimension...

First, how is fabricating custom shocks to take advantage of the length
allowance any different than having custom wheels fabricated to take
advantage of the offset allowance?  Furthermore, only the prototype is a
custom job.  After that, all other orders are built for that application.
The custom shock becomes a std item just built to order, getting a part
number put on it is not an issue.  This is how every shock in existence gets
it's start.  The semantics game just won't work here.

Second, lengthening the shaft or external body without lengthening the body
travel internally is not a solution.  As stated previously, the shaft/body
length relationship is controlled by packaging constraints.  You rarely will
be able to maintain the req'd travel range spec with a shorter body; i.e. 5"
internal body travel & 5" stroke (to the bumpstop) are OEM, if you have a 5"
stroke, but only 4.5" body travel length, the foot valve will bottom out and
be crushed on the first significant bump encountered, possibly a bent shaft
too.  Yes, there can be an exception but it would be rare.  What you are
suggesting is not generally practical, but I'm willing to keep pointing it
out if you insist.

Mark