Re: April Fast Track shock proposals *facts*

To: TeamZ06@aol.com
Subject: Re: April Fast Track shock proposals *facts*
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 00:38:17 EST
Mark Sipe writes:

> First, how is fabricating custom shocks to take advantage of the length
> allowance any different than having custom wheels fabricated to take
> advantage of the offset allowance?

2" of additional compression travel is substantially more advantage than 1/4"
wheel offset.

>  Furthermore, only the prototype is a custom job.  After that, all other
orders are
> built for that application.  The custom shock becomes a std item just built
> to order, getting a part number put on it is not an issue.  This is how
> every shock in existence gets it's start.  The semantics game just won't
> work here.

And Penske sells so many and has so many of a shock on the shelf that this
can't be changed?  Com on, Mark, we're not talking about Monroe or Gabriel
numbers here.  If all 50 sets of shocks for Z06's that are in existence need
new shafts, you don't throw the shocks away, you just buy new shafts...
Don't tell me these manufacturers can't tool up for new shaft lengths.

> Second, lengthening the shaft or external body without lengthening the body
> travel internally is not a solution.  As stated previously, the shaft/body
> length relationship is controlled by packaging constraints.  You rarely
> will be able to maintain the req'd travel range spec with a shorter body;
> i.e. 5" internal body travel & 5" stroke (to the bumpstop) are OEM, if you
> have a 5" stroke, but only 4.5" body travel length, the foot valve will
> bottom out and be crushed on the first significant bump encountered,
> possibly a bent shaft too.  Yes, there can be an exception but it would be
> rare.  What you are suggesting is not generally practical, but I'm willing
> to keep pointing it out if you insist.

I disagree with you that it's not practical.

Charlie
(personal opinion)