Re: [evolution-disc.] Latest News on the Florida bill

To: mark@markchiles.com, evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com,
Subject: Re: [evolution-disc.] Latest News on the Florida bill
From: <dave2020@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 17:36:45 -0500
I just spoke with Carlos in Representative Arza's office.  He said that the
bill will be brough to a vote in the House next week.

I told him that I noticed that the bill has progressed through committee
without addressing our concerns, and asked him if that was intentional.  Carlos
said that our concerns had been relayed to Rep. Arza and that he had sought
legal clarification from their legal staff.  The Lawyers advised Rep. Arza that
nothing in the bill would hurt us as sanctioned enthusiasts, and thus no change
in the language.

This is somewhat incouraging as at least it seems that the intent is not to
hurt us.  I am still bothered by the fact that the wording remains at best
ambiguous.  The clarifications sought by K.P. Jones would have made me feel
easier about this bill being voted on.

Dave Hardy
89 SM

Mark Chiles <mark@markchiles.com> wrote:
> MLC,

I am not sure what it means yet, but the House HB1225 bill was read for a
second time today the Full House.  Amendments passed and amendments failed.

Below is a State of Florida website devoted to history and information on
HB1225:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Session/index.cfm?Mode=Bills&SubMenu=1&BI_Mode=Vi
ewBillInfo&Year=2002&BillNum=1225

The Senate bill SB1738 is now in the Appropriations committee.

Below is a State of Florida website devoted to history and information on
SB1738:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Session/index.cfm?Mode=Bills&SubMenu=1&BI_Mode=Vi
ewBillInfo&Year=2002&BillNum=1738

There does not appear to be any amendments to either bill that tones down
the language of the bill to fit our needs.

It appears that amendments to the bills are now to include motorcycles
activities, not just cars.

And as you can see from the timelines of each bill, they are traveling fast
thought both the House and Senate.

Attached is a sample letter that the SEDIV (Area 3) Director, K.P.Jones,
sent to all State Senators and Representatives.

Thanks for all your cards and letters.

MLC, (Mark L. Chiles)

Access Your PC from Anywhere
It's Easy. It's Fun. - Free Download.